Vacancy : Program Intern
The Local Indicators of Climate Change Impacts Observation Network (LICCION) is seeking a Program Intern to join our team for 4-6 months. This is an excellent opportunity to work with an innovative and inter-disciplinary project at the nexus between policy, technology, research and climate justice. The intern will be part of a broader network of social-ecological researchers (http://www.laseg.cat/en and https://licci.eu/) and activists within civil society organizations across the world. Due to COVID-19, this internship is remote and requires CET working hour presence, although travel to the LICCION headquarters in Barcelona may be possible depending on the sanitary situation. This internship is currently unpaid, but we offer flexible working conditions for the right candidate.
Description: LICCION is dedicated to integrating knowledge and perspectives of Indigenous Peoples and Local Community into climate change research and policy fora through a rights-based approach. We offer a unique opportunity to motivated candidates who are analytical, team players, and capable of taking initiative. You will be working closely with the Project Manager and the OpenTEK platform’s Technology Officer and developer. We are currently creating a series of online workshops and sessions to assess how Indigenous peoples and local communities can use OpenTEK in order to better participate in climate change policy processes. You will play an essential role by assisting with the development, execution, and feedback from these workshops and online sessions.
The ideal candidate will be willing to learn or comfortable navigating between topics including climate change policy, socio-ecological research, and data sovereignty. You will have the chance to work in close collaboration with the ICCION team and its partners to:
- Contribute to training material and assist in workshop development
- Draft and co-author LICCION Policy Briefs
- Assist in expanding the network’s partners and allies
- Test OpenTEK platform features and incorporate feedback
- Disseminate our work via social media and other communications
- Assist the LICCION team in other activities when necessary
- Complete a project of your choice in line with your research or interests
- Background in climate policy or environmental sciences
- Experience working with Indigenous peoples and/or local communities
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of socio-ecological research.
- Pursuing a graduate (MA/MSc) degree
- Familiarity with conducting interviews, surveys or focus groups
- Tech-savvy and interest in tech for good
- Experience conducting online workshops/trainings is a plus
- Fluency in English and knowledge of Portuguese, Spanish or French is a plus.
Start date: 1 March, 2021 (flexible)
Duration: 4-6 months, 25-40hrs/week (flexible for the right candidate)
Location: Remote (CET/GMT hours)
Institution: Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, UAB
Interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter in English to Adrien Tofighi-Niaki at with the subject title “Program Intern.” Your cover letter should include your date of availability to begin and expected hours per week.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis.